Saturday, July 28, 2012

FLORIDA Chapter 6


There was a soft knock on the door jamb of Nick’s quarters.  As the Captain in charge of training the recruits, he had a small private bedroom with a private head and closing and locking door at the far end of the barracks where the recruits slept in their bunks.  Against one wall was shoved a simple desk which held his laptop; on the other wall was the Spartan cot that Nick slept on.  “Come,” Nick barked, not looking up from where he was seated, checking his email.  Ty pushed the door open and quietly closed it behind him.  Nick looked up; he was already showered and shaved, his thick dark hair expertly parted and still damp.  He had missed a spot of shaving cream behind his earlobe.  Nick was in his boots and fatigues, skintight olive tshirt clinging to his upper body.

Nick nodded towards his cot.  “Sit, Grady,” he ordered.  Ty did he as he was told, nodding and answering, “Yes, Sir.”  Even though they were working this case as equals, Nick technically outranked him, plus in the role he was playing he should address him that way.

Ty slept out with the young Marine recruits.  He had the first bunk as you entered the barracks, so noone could come or go without passing him and his watchful eye.  The Staff Sargeant was supposed to mentor and fit in with the men; almost be one of them, but more like an older brother.

Ty was also already showered, even though there was still a half hour before the other recruits would be rousted out of their beds.  Both men naturally woke early, and this was a good time for them to be able to quietly share information on the mission at hand.

“Any thoughts on how to track the disappearances?” Nick asked, leaning back in his chair.  Ty couldn’t help but notice how the tight tshirt clung to Nick’s tight waist and flat belly, hugged his big pecs, biceps straining the tight sleeves.  Then he raised his eyes to Nick’s face.  As much as he loved Zane, he was back in the Marine headspace and there was no way to avoid the potential arousal of all the fit male bodies.  Mostly the younger men, the recruits, didn’t do much for him.  Ty liked men, not boys, and Nick was all man.  Maybe if they had met 10 years ago…  or if Nick hadn’t had his history with Scott…  how did things get this fucked up?  Ty loved Zane and that was all there was to it.  Any history between Nick and his dead lover Scott or with Wes was their own business.  Ty could have sworn Wes was lying when asked point blank if there was anything inappropriate going on between him and Nick.  Generally Ty trusted Wes, but now that was Zane’s problem.  If Nick had any issue with Ty, it would focus on Scott. 

“Yes Sir,” Ty answered, leaning forward.  “Of course the men all disappeared, in ones or twos, when they had liberty and were out having a good time.  I’ve asked around for what are the fun places to go, and while there doesn’t seem to be a pattern, that tells me either that the recruits are being watched and tracked, or…  that there’s someone on base giving out the information.”  Nick’s eyes didn’t betray any emotion when as he listened.  “I figured the former…  but the idea of someone on base being involved?  Damn Grady, that’s some serious shit.”  Nick nodded in agreement.  “I know.  I’m going to accompany the men on liberty this weekend, and I’ll keep my eyes out for a tail.  But before we go, I’ll spread some misinformation about where we’re heading.  So if the bad guys find us, then it’s a tail.  But if they show up where I drop a hint, then we know there’s an informant.  Zane will be at the dummy location to observe.”

“Solid plan,” Nick commented.  “Where does that leave us?”

“Us?” Ty asked, confused.

“Yes, Special Agent Grady.  Us.  You’ve been busting for a confrontation since you showed up here.  But I need you to know that I’ve finally put Scott to rest.  So there is no reason for you to feel like you owe me anything, or tell me anything, about a man I knew better than you ever did.”

Ty drank that in.  “You sure you don’t want to hit me?” he asked. 

The barest smile crossed Nick’s face.  “Oh I want to hit you all right.  But will that really solve anything?”

Ty stared at Nick for a long moment.  He did have something he needed to get off his chest.  He looked back up.  “Scott was afraid of dying.  That was his greatest fear.  I always thought it was because he was leaving his family behind.  But it was you.”

Nick’s eyes stayed locked on Ty’s, remaining silent.

Ty continued.  “When I heard he was shot over the walkie talkie, I was the one to call for Med Evac.  I saw the chopper coming.  The chatter was that he was hurt bad.  The chopper couldn’t come fast enough; I willed it to fly faster.  I was running like hell to meet it, and be with Scott while they loaded him, to see how he was, tell him he had to pull through.”

Ty paused, wiping his hand over his face.  “The chopper was just touching down, I was about 20 yards away, running.  I saw the medic wave the chopper away, to take to the air again.  It was no longer needed.  I came rushing up, shoving the Medic out of the way, and sank to my knees beside the stretcher.  He was gone, his blank eyes staring up.  Nick, you need to know that I’m the one who closed his eyes.  It killed me that I couldn’t be there for him.”

Twin tears streaked down Nick’s face.  Ty had suffered too, he realized.  Everything else melted away; here were two US Marines, sharing the eternal bond of men who had lost a brother in arms.  Both had suffered, both knew they had lost something, but both were still alive and needed to move on.  Silently, the two men stood, closed the small space between, and embraced.  Strong arms each held the other.  They remained silent; no words were needed.  Finally, they pulled back, and looked at each other, studying the emotions they were both trying to hide.  Nick didn’t flinch as Ty reached out and touched the side of his face, running a finger behind his earlobe.  He pulled it back, with a small dab of shaving cream on it.  Nick ignored the fact that his cock was hard in his pants from the embrace and the touch.  “It’s time to wake the men,” Nick stated firmly.  “Yes, Sir” Ty replied, saluting and turning on his heel.

With Ty’s hand on the doorknob, he heard Nick say , “Oh and Staff Sergeant Grady…”  Ty turned to look at his commanding officer, eyebrows raised.  “I will fight you now.”  Nick grinned, adding “Let’s put on a show for the men.  1900 hours.  Bare to the waist.  Fists.  You arrange a pony keg.  And after I kick your ass, you get a night’s liberty.” 

“Yes, Sir!” was Ty’s enthusiastic response.  He would get his fight after all; it was what he wanted, and he had an idea how it would end.  Nick heard his Staff Sergeant bellow “RISE AND SHINE LADIES!!!” through the closed door.

No comments:

Post a Comment